Azithromycin – Effective Antibiotic for a Wide Range of Health Disorders
Nowadays the use of antibiotics is a widespread practice as these drugs are readily available at land-based drugstores and online pharmacies alike. They all differ according to their mechanism of action and the influence they produce on the human body. In this respect, Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is used to fight bacteria similarly to other drugs belonging to this class.
When Is Azithromycin Prescribed?
As a rule, this antibiotic is prescribed to treat a broad number of bacterial infections. It belongs to the class of macrolides as it works by preventing harmful bacteria from growing and spreading in the body. However, this medicine will not be effective for the treatment of viral infections including cold and flu among others. Moreover, if you use this antibiotic to fight viruses, it can result in its reduced effectiveness, so that you might not recover from your condition. At the same time, the misuse of this drug may lead to further spread of bacteria and even provoke a new infection. In most cases, Azithromycin is prescribed for the following diseases caused by bacteria:
- Respiratory infections such as pneumonia;
- Ear infections;
- Lyme disease;
- Sinus infection;
- Infectious skin disorders;
- Eye infections;
- Sexually transmitted diseases, etc.
However, it may also be used for other purposes not listed earlier.
Major Facts about Azithromycin
When using antibiotics, it is advisable to follow the right regimen in order not to misuse the drug which may cause unwanted health outcomes. The following basic facts on Azithromycin will let you know more about how it should be taken and what to keep in mind when using it:
- This drug is available under the brand name Zithromax;
- It is usually taken once a day. You should take it at equal intervals and try to ensure that you do not skip doses;
- If you are using capsules, you need to take them without a meal. Tablets and liquid can be taken either with a meal or without food;
- Even if you start feeling better after a few days of regular use of this drug, you should still make sure you undergo the course of treatment till the very end because, otherwise, the infection may return which may lead to undesirable outcomes for your health;
- The most common side effects of this drug include digestive disorders and headache among others;
- This antibiotic can be taken by both adult patients and children.
When Not to Use This Drug
Some people are not recommended to use this drug because it may not be safe for their health. Make sure your doctor knows if you suffer from the following conditions or have ever experienced them:
- If you have had an allergic reaction to this antibiotic or any other medicine of this class;
- If you suffer from liver or kidney disorders;
- If you suffer from cardiovascular disease or irregular heart rate;
- If you had diarrhea when you used antibiotics the previous time;
- If you suffer from myasthenia gravis, because Azithromycin may aggravate the symptoms of this disorder;
- If you have diabetes because the liquid form of Azithromycin contains sugar.
Before starting the treatment process, tell your physician if you have ever had any allergies to this drug or similar medicines because it may not be safe to use this medical product if you are allergic to it. Talk to your physician to find out the details.
Keep in mind that QT prolongation can sometimes lead to irregular or too fast heartbeat and other hazardous signs such as dizziness or loss of consciousness, in which case you might need to get emergency help right away. The risk of QT prolongation may be high if you use certain drugs such as Azithromycin. Therefore, there is a need to talk to a doctor or pharmacist and tell them whether you suffer from any heart problems or have a family history of such diseases.
If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor before using this drug. As a rule, this medicine is prescribed to pregnant women only if possible benefits outweigh the risks. Discuss this issue with your doctor. This medicine may also pass into breast milk, so you also need to consult a doctor if you are breastfeeding.
How to Take This Pill
If Azithromycin was prescribed, it is recommended to follow the instructions provided by the healthcare provider. The following requirements usually apply to patients who were prescribed this drug. Follow these recommendations when using Azithromycin:
- You need to take it once a day unless you are using this drug in the form of injections. Make sure you take this medication at the same intervals day after day;
- As a rule, patients are prescribed with a dose of 500 mg taken once a day for up to 10 days. The duration of treatment entirely depends on what type of infection you have;
- Some infections might require greater doses so that you may be prescribed up to 1-2 g of Azithromycin;
- The dose may be a bit lower if this drug is taken by children or if you suffer from any kidney or liver disorders;
- In certain cases, Azithromycin may be prescribed as part of a long-term treatment for preventative purposes. In particular, it prevents lung infections and in this case, it should be taken three times a week at equal intervals;
- Do not stop using this medicine earlier than was instructed by your physician even if you feel a lot better. If the treatment process is stopped too early, the infection may return, and you may even get new symptoms of the disease;
- Capsules need to be taken one hour before having meals or at least two hours after eating. Liquid drug or tablets may also be taken on an empty stomach;
- Tablets need to be swallowed together with a glass of water. The liquid form of the drug is generally prescribed to children or patients who find it hard to swallow the pills as they are;
- If you are taking the liquid form of the drug, you may need a measuring spoon to measure the necessary dose. If you don’t have a spoon, do not use a kitchen teaspoon, because it will not allow you to get the right amount of the drug. Instead, buy a measuring device at the local pharmacy;
- Children may find the taste of the liquid drug unpleasant, which is why it would be a great idea to give this medicine together with fruit juice so that your child can drink the juice afterward.
It is also worth remembering that taking two doses at a time may provoke an overdose. As such, do not take excess amounts of the medicine even if you forgot to take the dose at the right time. If you have missed a dose, just leave out the skipped dose and take the next one as usual. If you have taken too much of the medicine, you may have temporary side effects that will subside after a while. Talk to your physician if you are concerned about it or if your child has taken more than one dose accidentally.
Possible Side Effects
This medicine may provoke serious and mild adverse reactions. Remember that your doctor has prescribed you this medicine because the potential benefit outweighs the risk of developing side effects. Still, make sure you tell your healthcare provider if you observe any of the following side effects after using Azithromycin:
- Upset stomach;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Stomach ache.
As a rule, the side effects of this medicine are revealed in digestive disorders, but it may still provoke more serious adverse reactions in certain patients. These may include the following conditions:
- Hearing problems;
- Eye disorders;
- Speaking and swallowing troubles;
- Muscle pain and weakness;
- Symptoms of liver disorder.
In rare cases, Azithromycin may provoke the following symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness;
- Too fast or irregular heart rate.
If you have diarrhea after using this drug, do not use anti-diarrhea medical products or narcotic pain relievers because your condition may get worse. Besides, you need to seek medical attention right away if you observe any signs of a severe allergic reaction revealed in skin rash, itching or swelling of skin as well as breathing problems among others. An allergy to the drug may not disappear for a few days after you have taken the last dose.
When used with certain other drugs, the risk of side effects may increase, while the effect of the medication may be reduced. The conjunctive use of this drug with hormonal contraception may decrease the effectiveness of the latter. This may provoke pregnancy. Use additional birth control methods if you intend to take Azithromycin. Other drugs that may interact with this antibiotic include the following:
- Disopyramide, etc.
Can You Buy Azithromycin Online?
Azithromycin can be purchased at online pharmacies. If you intend to buy this pill online, you need to always check whether the online drugstore of your choice is legal and fully verified. Buying Azithromycin online is an easy way of getting a high-quality medical product at minimal costs. Shopping at online pharmacies allows you to save your time, money and effort and remains a popular way of buying antibiotics worldwide.