What You Should Know about Amoxicillin
Antibiotics have long become a vital part of modern-day life because they help people treat serious infections quickly and effectively. Amoxicillin is one of such medicines. It belongs to the category of antibiotics that are used for the management of such conditions as bacterial infections, pneumonia, dental disorders as well as infectious conditions affecting the urinary tract. It is also used in children for the treatment of lung and ear infections. The medicine is available with a prescription only. It can be purchased in the liquid form or capsules for oral use. It can also be injected, but the injections usually need to be performed by a qualified medical practitioner at the hospital.
Basic Facts on Amoxicillin
This drug belongs to the penicillin class of medications and is most often prescribed for the treatment of bacterial infections. It is available under different brands such as Amoxil, Moxilin, DisperMox, and others. Here are some of the most widespread facts on this medicine:
- This antibiotic acts by preventing the bacteria from spreading in the body. As a result, it allows eradicating them completely;
- Amoxicillin can be used for the management of bacterial infections, but not those that are provoked by viruses such as cold or flu;
- It can be safely used with a range of other medicines, such as those that are prescribed to treat stomach ulcers. It is also safe to use this drug with alcohol;
- The most common side effects are related to digestive problems like nausea and diarrhea;
- Patients are advised to always tell their doctor about their current health condition and medical record before they start using this antibiotic;
- In the majority of cases, you are supposed to get better within a period of several days;
- It is safe to use Amoxicillin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding at the moment. It can also be used in children.
When Is Amoxicillin Prescribed?
As a rule, Amoxicillin is prescribed to treat the following health conditions provoked by bacteria:
- Bronchitis and pneumonia;
- Skin infections;
- Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea;
- Ear and throat infections;
- Lyme disease;
- Urinary tract infections, etc.
If this antibiotic is used for the purpose of treating cold, flu or other viral infections, it may increase the risk of developing antibiotic resistance, which may provoke further spread of bacterial infection.
When Not to Use This Drug
This antibiotic may not be recommended for certain categories of people. To make sure it is safe to use this drug in your case, tell your physician if you have ever had or currently suffer from the conditions listed further:
- If you observed an allergic reaction to this medicine or penicillin in the past;
- If you have liver or kidney disorders;
- If you have had or are going to have any kind of vaccinations.
How to Take Amoxicillin?
This antibiotic can be used orally as a regular or chewable tablet, a capsule or liquid drug. It is also available in the form of drops for kids. When using this drug, you need to accurately follow the recommendations of your doctor. Your physician may provide you with the following instructions:
- This antibiotic is usually taken two times a day every 12 hours, but it may also be taken three times a day, every 8 hours, which entirely depends on the recommendations of your doctor and may vary from patient to patient;
- This drug can be taken without food or with a meal, while the liquid form of the drug can be mixed with drinks such as fruit juice, milk or pure water;
- The liquid form of Amoxicillin and drops should be shaken before they are administered in order to make sure that the medicine is evenly distributed;
- Usual tablets or capsules need to be taken with a small amount of water, while chewable tablets should be entirely chewed before you swallow them;
- It is also important to follow all your doctor’s recommendations regarding the use of this drug and the intervals at which it should be taken. Your healthcare provider should give you all the information about how to use this drug correctly to avoid possible risks to your health;
- Even if your symptoms disappear, you should still keep using the drug until the treatment course is complete;
- If you have missed a dose, it needs to be taken soon after you remember about it as long as it is not the time to use the next one. Do not take excess amounts of the drug to make up for the one you have skipped because this may provoke an overdose;
- If you finish the treatment too early, the bacteria may spread even further while the risk of developing antibiotic resistance will increase. Moreover, the symptoms of infection can return over a short while. Therefore, it is important to undergo the treatment process until the very end;
- The usual effective dose ranges between 250-500 mg taken several times a day. This amount may be lower if the drug is used by children;
- There should be equal intervals between the doses. For example, if you are taking the drug three times a day, you should take it as soon as you wake up in the morning, in the mid-afternoon and before going to bed.
What Are the Most Common Side Effects?
Just like other antibiotics, Amoxicillin may provoke serious or mild side effects. In case you experience the signs of an allergic reaction, you need to call the emergency and seek help right away. The signs of an allergy may include breathing difficulties, swelling of body parts and skin reactions among others. If you observe the following side effects, you need to call your doctor immediately and ask for advice:
- Diarrhea that can be watery or bloody;
- Swelling of the tongue;
- The feverish condition, pain when swallowing, symptoms of viral infection, difficulty breathing or cough;
- Swollen throat, skin rash or itching as well as feeling ill without a reason;
- Pale or yellowish skin, yellowish eyes, darkening of urine, feeling of weakness;
- Numbness or muscle weakness and pain;
- Uncommon bleeding;
- Red marks under your skin or other skin reactions like swelling of body parts, burning sensation in your eyes, blistering and peeling of skin.
As for the most common side effects of this drug, they may include the following conditions:
- Digestive troubles like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea;
- Skin rash.
This list of side effects is not full so that you might need to call your doctor for advice if you observe any other reactions that might have occurred during treatment.
Can Amoxicillin Provoke Serious Allergy?
Amoxicillin may provoke severe allergy in around one person out of 15 people. In the majority of cases, the allergy is accompanied by the following symptoms that might require medical help:
- Itching of skin;
- Skin rash;
- Wheezing due to the inability to breathe normally.
At the same time, if you observe the above-mentioned symptoms of an allergy, you need to stop using the drug and tell your doctor about your condition to get medical advice. If the symptoms of an allergy are mild in your case, they can be effectively alleviated with the help of antihistamines. However, in rare cases, this drug may provoke a serious allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, which may lead to severe health outcomes.
Can You Use Amoxicillin with Other Drugs?
Certain types of medications may interact with this antibiotic, which may include prescription or over-the-counter drugs, as well as vitamins and herbs among others. As such, it is necessary to let your doctor know about all medications that you take for other health problems, and you may need to stop using them for a while. Certain medicines cannot be mixed with Amoxicillin. Tell your medical adviser if you are taking the following medications before you start using this antibiotic:
- Gout medications such as Allopurinol or Probenecid;
- Any other antibiotics.
Even though it is suggested that Amoxicillin does not interact with herbal products, it is better to tell your doctor if you take any herbal remedies or supplements at the moment. This will help you to avoid possible drug interactions that may be dangerous for your health.
Can You Buy Amoxicillin Online?
Just like other medications, this antibiotic is available at online pharmacies. You can easily purchase it online from the web-based drugstore of your choice. Amoxicillin is available in different forms and under different brands. Consult your doctor and get a prescription signed by a qualified healthcare provider before you buy Amoxicillin online. Make sure you know all the risks and benefits associated with the use of this drug before you start the treatment. See your doctor to get full information about this medication to avoid potential risks to your state of health. Even though buying Amoxicillin online is a lot easier than purchasing it from a land-based pharmacy, you need to mind all the precautions to ensure that your online shopping experience is successful. Never purchase drugs from illegitimate pharmacies that work on illegal grounds because it may not be safe for your health and wellbeing.